Tuesday, January 18, 2011

january 18 - the tale of the e-readers

Back to work today - I decided to bring one of my small pieces - Waiting for the Harvest - with me and actually have had a few moments to take a break and stitch a bit! I think I will just leave it here for the week and see how much I can accomplish.

Yesterday, we I rearranged the furniture in the living room (the second time since we took our tree down this year!) and was able to make room to bring my stitching lamp back downstairs. What a treat! I love stitching in that room and it has been such a hassle not having the lamp there for the past couple of years. I was working on Three Things yesterday, and forgot how much I love working on this piece. I don't know why I keep putting it down! But this year I am determined to finish it and so I have put it number one on my "UFOs to finish" list. I will post a photo at the end of the week to show how far I've come along.

So, I know that many of you love to read, and I'm sure that some of you have e-readers, right? I received one last year for Christmas (a Sony Reader) from my husband, and I was really enjoying it, but somehow, after our trip to Maui in April, it stopped taking a charge. Jeff thought that maybe it had water damage. Of course, this is the one gift that he has ever paid cash for, and we couldn't find the receipt anywhere. 
Fast forward to this Christmas, and guess what? Jeff buys me a new improved Sony reader for Christmas. Except that it wasn't so improved. I had so many problems with it from the first day that they ended up sending me a new one within the first week. But it still wouldn't work properly. So I decided to stop being frustrated and just return it and get something else. 
They were very nice at the Sony store, gave me back my money, and off I went to Barnes & Noble to get a Nook. I brought it home (not the color model) and began playing with it. Troubles again. I couldn't get a consistent connection to purchase books and the library download was giving me problems as well. And my fingers were too big for the keyboard...I kept hitting all the wrong keys. So, back to Barnes & Noble I went and got my money back. 
I finally decided to give the Kindle a try. My main reason for not wanting to get a Kindle was because Kindle does not support Overdrive, which is the system that gives us our library books to go. But after really looking through the books available from the library, I realized that there really weren't that many that I wanted badly enough to suffer through the craziness I had experienced with the Sony and the Nook. 
So off to Amazon I went, and within one hour of opening the box I had downloaded 2 books with no problem. I now have about a dozen on there, most of which (including all my Jane Austen's) were free! I am so happy! And I even have a little Vera Bradley bag that it fits perfectly in. So I am now a happy Kindle camper and would recommend these to anyone looking for an e-reader. (it will even read the book to you!...I'm excited to try this while stitching. How nice it would be not to have to stop and change the CD all time!)

I want to thank everyone who has been leaving such wonderful comments during the challenge. Please keep after me to finish all these new starts!
Thanks for visiting!

12 comments:

  1. Lynda, I love my kindle...sometimes it's too easy to get books :( but there's lots of free ones too. You just have to keep checking.
    Glad you like, sorry you had to go through so much to find that out.
    Keep the needle close!
    hugs,
    babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE MY KINDLE, would be lost without it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There has been so much "talk" about e-readers. I'm still on the fence though.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutly adore my Kindle. DH bought it for me over this past summer. I have so many wonderful books on there and most of them were FREE. Many of the books are classics that I have never read.

    I am glad you finally were able to get your E-Reader situation all smoothed out :) Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE my Kindle. I have one of the first generation models and it's still going strong. *knock on wood* I'm soo jealous of people who have the new slim black ones! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your Three Things sampler!! I am your most recent follower:) Books and cross stitching are my favorite pastimes too

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Kindle is great, and it makes reading and getting books so easy. Enjoy yours!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kindle is the best! I just love mine. If you "like" Kindle on Facebook they will let you know when free special are on. A great way to try new authors! I also am an avid stitcher and love your blog! I look forward to following your work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you great reading times with your Kindle. My daughter also has one and is so very happy with it.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on Three Things. There isn't much left and you will finish it in no time. And yes, you are right, it's a lot of fun to sticth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have a kindle or any of the other brands. I like to hold a book. But who knows I might get one sometime.
    I have watched your book list for 2010.....I checked out The Vintage Affair this past week and I am thoroughly into the story. thanks for keeping a list. Look forward to your 2011 list.
    Wanda from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info. I dont have an e-eader yet. This helps in deciding, I was wondering about all of them amd which one is better. Kindle it is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Kindle is wonderful! For someone who loves to "hold a book" I did not think I would adjust but my children gave me one so that I could offset the overdue fines at the library! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and thanks for your comments!