Thursday, November 1, 2012

there's joy in the journey


When I found out that my sister-in-law was celebrating a milestone birthday, and that we would actually be seeing her right around that time (she lives in Maine...3000 miles away), I thought...oh good, I will stitch something for her (which I haven't done in a long long time) and set about thinking of the perfect design.

I remembered that I had ordered a Diane Williams design awhile back, and thought the sentiment would be perfect, and I knew she would like the style of the design. I know that this design goes back aways...before Little House Needleworks, and if I remembered right, it wasn't easy to find. I ordered a kit (which came with beads, by the way), never opened it, put it away in one of those safe places for the future and forgot about it.

So I spent a good part of a day searching through lots of stash and finally found my treasure. But, when I opened the package I found beads, a piece of aida, thread, instructions....but no pattern!!!!!!
And it would be so perfect too...darn. Hubby thought I might still be able to find it online...and he was right. So I ordered it again, hoping the kit would be complete this time. 

And it was (no beads this time!). Unfortunately, it came with only one week left to get it stitched and framed. I guess I work best under pressure (and luckily, had some time off from work) and I was able to finish it with one day to spare!

This is, of course, a very poor photo, but she loved it...and it did turn out to be the perfect gift after all!


Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!


17 comments:

  1. Hello deary
    A big wowww it is truly the most beautiful gift and the wording is so lovely too...
    I am sure your sister will treasure it ..
    Such a cute chart
    Well done
    Hugs cucki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the design! I'm sure she did too. Great job!

    ~McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, lovely design! Stitched under pressure and stitched with love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect. Absolutely gorgeous and a great sentiment. We often forget it is the journey which counts and focus far too much on the end results. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh that is lovely :) where did you find it from ??? and so glad you got it done in time too :) love mouse xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a speed stitcher. Glad she liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely gift. I love the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, stitched within a week with smoking needles - now, that was fast. And I think it's absolutely perfect for a milestone birthday. A wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you are a fast stitcher. Beautiful gift.
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really lovely finish! I'd never be able to stitch that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!

    I stitched (but still haven't framed yet) this one too.

    It was in one of the Leisure Arts mags a long time ago too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a lovely gift and I am so glad you managed to get another chart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You stitched that in a week!?! Amazing! I'm glad you found the chart again...so weird that the kit didn't have it?! I'm sure your sister in law will love it and cherish it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stitching is gorgeous. You did a wonderful job and your sister-in-law must so proud. What part of Maine does she live in? My Husband's family comes from the Moosehead Lake area. This is where we plan to retire someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful stitching ready for the birthday girl. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynda it is beautifully done - see what a little pressure does to those smoking needles? I hope it gives your SIL much pleasure in the years to come. Hugs, Ally xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and thanks for your comments!